Our mission is to constantly seek to increase the chances of individual and collective survival in the manner we think best facilitates indefinite life. Our efforts will be responsible and transparent. Our projects will often be open-source. We will do as much as we can to collaborate and be involved with other organizations and communities. We all must deliberately design the future and not let it be driven by ignorance, indecision, nor inaction. While Lifetimes Infinity might not be able to give humanity a final destination or definitive plan of action, we want to do as much as we can to help build a roadmap for humanity.
Mind uploading will not be achieved by a company hoarding information and keeping to itself. Mind uploading will be accomplished through research and developments by individuals, labs, organizations, and businesses working collaboratively from all over the world. LI will not only be a company building toward mind uploading, but we will also be a catalyst for the industry. We will build relationships with similar organizations, communities, and individuals so that we may all reach our collective goals faster.
In the history of humanity, never have we had the technology to live indefinitely. However, at this point in time, we can envision a route for technological advancement that will enable our minds to exist beyond the death of our bodies, a world where death is a choice. By the year 2065 years, we want everyone on Earth to have the resources and access to make mind uploading an option for anyone that wants it. Beyond that, we will work to improve quality of life by designing better minds and bodies in collaboration with communities and other organizations. Beyond mind uploading, we aim to continue the pursuit of indefinite life by working to ever increase the chances of survival for both individuals and the collective.
Although it is a long way off, we will inevitably need to leave Earth. Beyond that, we can only guess as to what questions and answers we may seek in this vast universe. Lifetimes Infinity’s vision is far reaching and ambitious, but we have the drive and dedication needed to extending humanity’s reach through mind, space, and time.
Our entire existence comes down to staying alive as long as possible by keeping both our bodies and minds fit. Everything we do as individuals and as a collective is (ultimately) to live longer and better. We invent and explore because we might find things that will make our lives easier or live longer. It is our belief that the following are the biggest and most important milestones to extending human life through space and time.
Indefinite Life Milestones
1st Stage – Outliving the Body: Mastering the Mind (Mind Uploading / Digital Immortality). Freeing ourselves from our mortal bodies through mind uploading will alleviate most of the causes of death, including senescence, starvation, dehydration, exposure to elements, drowning, et cetera. Although becoming digital beings will introduce a few new ways of dying, death should be far more manageable.
2nd Stage – Outliving Earth: Building Advanced Spaceships. Survival beyond Earth is important because right now, all of humanity exists on one ‘spaceship’. As is evident from the dinosaurs, this is not a good way to ensure the survival of a given life form (or even the survival of all life as we know it). At some point we will want or need to leave Earth forever. We will require spaceships that house everything we will ever need, because we won’t be coming back.
3rd Stage – Outliving The Universe: Mastering All Of Science. As a space-faring civilization, we will continue to give ourselves the best chance of survival from moment to moment. We will do this by quantifying as many aspects of life as possible in order to identify risks and mitigate them through the implementation of systems and heuristics. The other big project we will work toward as a space-faring civilization is outliving the seemingly inevitable death of this universe. The death of the universe is the only thing standing in the way of truly living indefinitely.
We can only benefit ourselves and others by being alive. Time is a privileged only the living can make use of, and only with time comes opportunities and second chances. While other individuals and organizations will have interests and specializations in different areas, the only focus of LI is survival. Survival is more important than anything else, no exceptions, and we must remember this in moving forward with the organization. This is the domain we must become masters of, and we will do our best here so that everyone else can continue doing what they do best.
Although existential risks and risks to the individual are categorized differently, it’s possible to quantify all existential risks in terms of the individual. In this manner, we do not have to make any decisions pitting survival of the collective against survival of the individual. Our pledge is to constantly make individuals and societies more fit for survival, while maintaining, promoting, and improving the rights of the individual. All other efforts and aims of this organization stem from these philosophies here.
This organization and community are an attempt to enable a shift in our collective consciousness, culture, and society to deliberately design the future to be better than what could emerge from inaction, indecision, or lack of planning. Lifetimes Infinity is aimed at extending humanity’s grasp of the mind, time, and space in order to help humanity understand what exactly we are, so as to better figure out where we want to go. The future will be built to better suit our needs as this human species separates further and further from the biological systems from which we have emerged. Eventually we will not be reliant on biological systems at all. Eventually we will no longer be part of Earth, either by choice or by necessity. Eventually we will leave this solar system, and most likely will never return. Change is inevitable. Either we roll with the punches and adapt or we face extinction. The survivors will be the ones not afraid to change.
Faced with change as conscious beings in the limited time we have here as humans, we have the choice between accepting the status quo or adapting to build a better reality. You will have to decide what kind of person you are and what things you value in moving forward; this is not a purely black and white matter, but one of endless possibilities. We cannot choose for you, and we wouldn’t want to. Our aim is to help create a more open world that better enable collaboration so that we may all work together toward these common goals.
In helping to build toward new futures, just keep in mind that as individuals, all we have ever known is what we have experienced in our particular minds and bodies. You did not choose to be born into this person. You did not choose to be born into this nation or this world. You did not choose to be born with these amazing but still limited thought processes in this particular universe. But you are here, and here is good. Here is most certainly not the best, but it does mean you are alive. It means that you are a human on this planet Earth. It means you have been given the opportunity to stand on the backs of all humanity past and reach further than anyone has ever reached before. It means that what you are is nothing less than amazing. It means you live in a time where we may no longer have to accept death as the harsh inevitability of a short life. The universe is vast. There is still so much knowledge to be obtained, so many questions to be asked and answered. All Lifetimes Infinity wants to do is give people more time in this existence so we can all figure things out a little better. May we never stop looking for answers and pushing the boundaries of life.
Within Lifetimes Infinity, we use a symbol to remind us of what is most important:
The broken infinity sign symbolizes the indefinite, as opposed to the infinite. It means that indefinite survival (of life, of knowledge, of everything…) is the most important objective. It means to always be working toward indefinite life in the little things we do and the big things we do. If we should lose the path or forget why we’re here, we will be reminded by this symbol of what all of our efforts (big and small) are working toward.
ɔxc is where we are now as a species. The first open “c” represents our minds being dependent on our human bodies. Once we can live indefinite lives, we will reach the next stage:
cxc is where the limiting factor to our survival is no longer our bodies, but Earth (represented by the second open “c”). To reach cxɔ, we need to become completely independent, only then will humanity’s place in the universe be secured.
∞ is where we will find ourselves should we manage to outlive the universe. If we can manage that feat, we will have become what most people consider when they think of immortals.
In the early stages of the mind uploading movement, advocacy for digital immortality is imperative to gain public support to increasing funds of all transhumanism efforts. The road to mind uploading is one that will likely take decades of research and development, so it is also essential that we actively encourage young people to take an interest in the sciences, especially neuroscience and computer science. Our job is this respect is to make digital immortality interesting and exciting. This applies not only to the public opinion of digital immortality, but the culture that we cultivate within our organization.
These are the principles LI follows to ensure our philosophy is reflected in our actions.
- Death should be a choice, whether people choose to continue living or not, and it is of the utmost importance that we make this choice accessible to all.
- Mind and avatar design will be essential for maintaining and improving life for cognitive beings. The way we interpret and interact with reality will determine the entire structure of future societies.
- Mind uploading, mind design, and avatar technologies must be open and accessible. Individuals must have the ability to adapt their own digital minds and avatar bodies.
- Security and privacy for the individual is essential in all mind and avatar technologies.
- Making technologies and tools available to the public promotes collaboration, feedback, and decentralized development.
- Transparency is vital in developing relationships with collaborators, communities, and other organizations.
- There are many advantages to developing mind and avatar technology as a commercial entity, but we must make sure the commercial goals are in line with the indefinite life philosophy and milestones.
- Getting the public interested in the development and future of mind technologies is important to the growth of communities and organizations supporting and developing these technologies.
We are a social enterprise with a triple bottom line (AAA bottom line). The following areas how we allocate extra resources back into the organization.
- R&D efforts. This includes efforts within LI, grants to and contracts with other entities that work on technology we are interested in, and collaboration with communities and other organizations.
- Making technologies more affordable and accessible to all humanity, eventually making it so that every person has the opportunity to live indefinitely.
- Our role as a for-profit organization is to develop mind technologies, build communities around these technologies, eventually perform the actual mind-uploading procedure cheaply, and then hand the controls over to the communities as we work in development to refine everything. Then we will move on to other ventures in indefinite life to ever extend our chances of individual and collective survival.
- Advocate for technological improvements specific to our efforts and vision.
- Advocate to increase awareness of and popularize transhumanism, and in particular, digital immortality.
- Encourage younger generations to take an interest in and pursue science.
- Attract, encourage, and promote divergent thinking (a necessity for venturing beyond where anyone has gone before).
- Develop policies and standards detailing out how to best ethically navigate through the emergence of these technologies (policies that can be adapted/adopted in the future by all types of entities — governments, organization, communities).
- Developing business ventures, funding opportunities, and the infrastructure of the organization itself. These inputs and structures maintain and increase the total effectiveness of the organization, accelerating the rate at which we progress toward our goals.
- Expanding and educating the LI team to better take on the immediate and long term challenges we face.
- Building the organization in a way that is environmentally and socially conscious including selecting suppliers, distributors, and contractors that are also environmentally and socially conscious.